Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Military History


Lately, I have been indulging my interest in American History by reading about the American Revolution and the two World Wars. It's a strange interest for a woman who loves Louisa Mae Alcott and Jane Austen.

Today I had a revelation while reading about how to outflank the enemy, etc. I loved the story about how Washington tricked the Redcoats into thinking his army was much larger than it actually was, leaving the fires burning while he and the Army slipped away in the night across the Delaware River. I loved how the Allies accomplished the same thing with the Germans...through the use of rubber tanks and movie studio staged ports. The Germans continually overestimated the strength of the Allies...I think my sub-conscious is trying to find pointers on how to outsmart my children psychologically when they become teens...since I will be in my middle to late 50s when this journey embarks. I am pretty sure they will both be physically taller than me so I will have to rely on my wits.

One thing which really struck me in my reading was how American troops watched the cows in Normandy. They realized the fields would not have mines if there were cows, cows are curious and would watch if someone was nearby...letting the troops know there were Germans close to them. I wonder if cows could be used to figure out what a teenager is up to...perhaps it would moo if they were sneaking out at night...block the driveway if they try taking the car without permission...I am pretty sure a cow will make a big enough mess to keep the teens shovelling for quite awhile.

Yes, I am just beginning to see how to use military history to battle my children.

No comments: