Friday, January 2, 2009

The Green Chair


If this chair could talk, what stories it could tell. I fell in love with the chair when we lived in Georgia. It was my favorite type of chair...a wingback and it reclined. What more could a girl ask for? It matched the couch and loveseat we were buying for our new home and it was the most relaxing shade of green. That was 12 years ago.

The chair has been moved from Georgia to Iowa to Alabama to Ohio to Massachusetts to Virginia and back to Alabama. It is time to replace the chair but it is like letting go of a long lost friend. When we bought the chair it provided just the right amount of sophistication for me and my new home...the perfect amount of comfort.

The chair kept my feet up during my unexpected pregnancy with H. I loved to sit in it while homeschooling Roo. Our cat thought it was its own personal scratchpost much to my dismay. My favorite quiet moments were in Massachusetts watching the snow fall and nursing H while reclining in the chair. I cannot tell you how many times I have sat in the chair and held a sleeping child or been thrown up on by one of those angelic children...I was always the target and fortunately, the chair never came out as bad as I did. The chair was a peacemaker when we brought M home from the hospital and H wasn't speaking to me. She got sick the night I came home and the chair was in our bedroom so we reclined it and she slept there that night. She started speaking to me again and somehow she never went back to her bad but kept sleeping in the reclined chair. Numerous bedtime stories have been read from that chair...too many naps to count have been taken in that chair...I noticed a few months ago the wingback on the left side was working loose and now there is a rip in the fabric...It is time to replace it but how? There are so many stories in that chair.

No comments: