Friday, January 9, 2009

Influenced

Jackie Nelson passed away on New Year's Eve, 2009. I am blessed to have known her. Jackie,was the mother of my best friend in college, Karen Nelson.

Jackie treated me like a daughter and opened her home to me on many occasions. I lived in Lancaster and went to school at California State University, Northridge, as a commuter.

There are so many wonderful memories of being a guest at the Nelsons and being profoundly impacted by this family. There was the week in 1984 when we got hit with a huge snowstorm and it was finals week at CSUN. Jackie allowed me to come stay the week as soon as I could get out of the Valley. Karen and I spent most of the day on Tuesday on the phone with weather updates instead of studying . I finally got out and made it to my finals. Karen even drove me to the Airport after finals were over so I could go to England for three weeks.

Karen and I went to a Halloween Party in Beverly Hills with some of Karen's friends and the Nelsons contributed to my Halloween costume. Jackie was always helpful at accessorizing me...she provided a necklace once when Karen and I were doing up the town, and she provided the earrings when I got married...the something borrowed.

Bill and Jackie were in Kuwait when Iran invaded. They were taken hostage and I remember praying like I have never prayed before...Jackie was released and then Bill. God is good.

The biggest influence Jackie had on my life though is really simple. She was a stay at home mom and it was this that helped me decide to be the same. I had planned a career but when I stayed with the Nelsons, I got to see how nice it was to have simple home dinners with the family and someone to sit with while I ate my breakfast. Jackie made me a piece of toast and some tea, then she sat down and talked with me while I ate. A simple act that has stayed with me a lifetime.

I know she touched many others in her lifetime and I am blessed God allowed me to be one of them.

No comments: