Saturday, February 3, 2018

Letters of Hope

Hope. Encouragement. It's the purpose of the letters our church does as part of its prison ministry. I enjoy writing them (before you panic that I am writing strange men in prison, there is no personal information shared by the letter writers and all letters go through two censors before reaching a prisoner...the letters are signed from the church and the recipient has no idea if a man or woman wrote the letter...although I am sure the handwriting provides an indication). Writing the letters actually bless me probably more than the inmate because I realize how simple and easy my life is...and how free I am. I cannot imagine life incarcerated.

There is one prayer connection card that I get from time to time that breaks my heart. The man seemingly has the mind of a child but did commit a serious crime. It seems like there should be something where he is confined but not with the prisoners who might mock or abuse him.

I wish I had wisdom to think of a better way and become a Norma Rae of the prison system. But, I do not have an answer to I write to give hope and encourage.


No comments: