Sunday, January 3, 2016

Eureka!

It's time. It starts today. But. I got up this morning still not sure where God was directing me with my fasting and prayer. Well...prayer, yes, I know what to do about that...but fasting...there are so many options. Thankfully, our pastor, carefully and deliberately went over the whys and hows behind the Church and its fast...which I knew, but I had a block for which one I should do...what to fast and for how long. The Lord knows I have so much to change within me...I need a jolly good kick in the derriere. Total fast? (I think I mentioned King Kong Effect or a corpse for this writer) Partial fast? The Daniel fast? That's it! The Daniel Fast! (See verse below)
10 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a thing was revealed unto Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar; and the thing was true, but the time appointed was long: and he understood the thing, and had understanding of the vision.
In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.
I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

No bread, no meat, no wine, for me. I can do that except I don't really drink wine. I am what could be called a really really cheap date. Two sips of wine and I am dancing on the table, removing my clothes, and very friendly. So I need to substitute for the wine...chocolate? Tea? Oh dear. Here, we, go, again...I am biting the bullet. Bye Chocolate. And...are you sitting down? You need to sit down for this...I am abstaining my favorite, Mighty Leaf Breakfast tea. Sitting down with a hot cup of this liquid gold is sooo soothing to me...the taste, the smell, the mental vacation...This? This IS a big deal. I mean really big. It is the stuff of Headlines...this is almost as big as me cutting off an appendage...Okay, not quite, but you have to admit I am good at embellishing. (You will notice in the photo below, it is a cup of Jasmine tea. Yeah, I'm not that crazy that I would give up everything...the green tea stays. It's half the caffeine and studies show it is good for you and it doesn't mean as much to me as my breakfast tea. It stays. (I can justify anything)

Are you wondering what I am praying for? So much...the upcoming election, my family, my children's futures, friends, and most of all, being thankful...I am so blessed. I am often in awe of how God has blessed me. When I slow down and meditate on all He has done for me, I am perplexed. Why? I don't deserve it. I mess up a bazillion times every single day...and I am still blessed. If I sit here too long, I may realize that the Daniel Fast is pretty insignificant for all that I have to be thankful for...I may talk myself into a total fast. However, I am not crazy. Mount Kilimanjaro can't be climbed in a day and I should probably start off slow with fasting...me, trying to do a total fast would be like running a Marathon when I can only walk a 5K. Next year, I pray I will be spiritually strong enough to go all in...we will see. I just want to be at a place where I am obedient to do whatever He asks of me. 


Here is the link for today's message from our pastor on fasting. He's a funny guy which I love. I learn so much more when I can laugh...somber sermons make me feel smart but I do not grow much spiritually. I can fake smart. I can't fake spiritual. Watch. I promise you will enjoy it. If not, I'll give you my box of Mighty Leaf Breakfast tea. Seriously!

No comments: