Thursday, January 7, 2016

Driving Miss Daisy

Today is a driving day. I have many miles to put on Miss Daisy on this cloudy day. Yes, in my tradition of naming things my mini van's name is Daisy)

I actually love driving when no one is in the car with me...I find it therapeutic. During my teenage years which were full of angst, many miles were put on my '63 Fairlane and my Datsun 210. Which turns out to have been really good training for the rest of my life. Looking back, however, my parents really should have put a GPS monitoring device on me. I drove to the ballet alone once without permission...in Los Angeles...and almost got killed by a crazy guy with a baseball bat and a lot of road rage...I can't listen to Werewolves of London without remembering that experience. Now that I am a parent I realize how stupid I was for driving to LA at 16. Alone. Driving Goode Hill with barely 10 hours of driving experience etc etc. I got my license earlier than my peers so I was also the chauffeur. I drove the mountains, I drove to the beach. We would cut school...and go to the beach...drive...drive...drive...it was good prep work for parenting, if I think about it.

Driving with both kids these days...not so much fun. I don't enjoy playing referee and chauffeur. However, when I only have one child at a time. I really like it. My kids will talk my ears off...especially Hannah. It's a nice time to find out what is going on in their lives. This is very different from Lauren was young. We could drive for hours and she wouldn't say a word. We drove from Dayton to Boston, she said about 6 words. We drove from Dayton to Baltimore, silence....nothing. I always wondered what is going on her mind.

I drove Lauren all over OH and MA for her piano, dance lessons and youth group. I would put a 100 miles a day on the car, Monday through Friday...and now I am doing it again for the two latter blessings.

Today, however, is a day I would prefer not to be driving...I am really really tired. I would prefer to be in my warm flannel pajamas with a blanket and a pillow. I slept through my alarm this morning. I am usually awake before the alarm. I only woke up because Greg was calling. I was in the middle of a dream, I thought it was the middle of the night, I assumed it was a bad thing the phone was ringing. I stumbled through the morning doing really stupid things. The kids recommended I go back to drinking my breakfast tea...I traded in the hot water with lemon sub for my usual morning gold for a cup of Jasmine. It is probably cheating on my fast but I successfully drove H to school.

Next up this morning was driving across town to for my allergy shots and a haircut. I left for the appointments after taking a long lingering look at my bed and pajamas. (I did make the bed...but only to take away temptation.) Into the car and off I went still tired but not too tired to admire the hills being hugged by the clouds with a few peeps of blue poking through. I think I actually fell asleep while my hair was being blow dried.

Now, I will feed the kids. Drive H to the Huntsville Rink, kick her out of the car, and drive M to the Decatur Rink. I am already excited about going to bed...and its only 3:30. I am sure I will pep up when H tells me the Junior High drama and if that doesn't work, I think the beauty of the Tennessee River will make it all worth it. And if it doesn't...at least these followed me home from my first round of driving...



They followed me home. What can I say?



Getting my hair washed and blow-dried was really nice. It takes forever to dry my hair. It is really lovely to hand the job over to my stylist...

No comments: