Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Apple Trees

I am getting the "pleasure" of watching my eldest daughter's journey into the Dating Game. Unfortunately, my daughter didn't fall far from the apple tree. I was really hoping she would...When I was her age I had a problem of running for the hills when a love interest showed too much affection. In college, I once received a dozen roses from someone I carpooled with...they were anonymously sent so I called the florist and she gave me the name. Our next ride to Northridge was quiet, very quiet...I froze the guy out, I do believe he may have even had some icicles hanging off his chin when we emerged from the car...and we never carpooled together again. My days of being rude to unwanted admirers started early, 6th grade...there was a neighborhood boy who would leave presents in my desk and on my porch. He got the cold silent treatment also. I didn't like guys who stayed by my side like they were superglued to my hip...guys who called too much, ick. There seems to be a fine line which is really easy to confuse between paying attention and smothering. My poor daughter inherited the gene that is too hard to please, expecting the other party to just know when to come close and when to back away. I knew there was a reason I never wanted to revisit my twenties again...and this is it...the horrible horrible dating dance. And for anyone interested in pursuing my daughter...I suggest you play hard to get.

No comments: