Monday, December 22, 2008

My H


My H was a complete surprise. After many miscarriages, infertility treatments and acceptance of never having a second child...along comes my little H. When I realized I was really irritable, I -mean I-R-R-T-A-B-L-E (and I'm not an irritable person...for the most part) I went to the BX and got a pregnancy test. After many wettings of the little sticks with no positive outcome in the past, the little positive sign didn't exactly fill me with joy. I decided as soon as I miscarried this one I was going on the pill...who needs another roller coaster of emotions when you're 39?

I got on the phone, found a high risk OB/GYN, made an appointment, went to the appointment, had the ultrasound, no heartbeat, been there done that. The doctor offered a D&C on Monday or I could take a prescription to induce the miscarriage. I am a wimp with drugs and surgery. I opted for the old fashioned way of doing the miscarriage. I would just let nature take its course. The doctor told me to come back for another ultrasound if nothing happened by Friday.

L/R spent the week praying for the baby's heart to beat. She reasoned if God could bring her cat home, he could make a heartbeat.

I spent the week I at the gym trying to speed things along. I did a lot of rowing that week. Friday came. No miscarriage. I went to the doctor's office and only the nurse was working that day. She started the ultrasound and was still keying the information when my husband said "There's a heartbeat!" The nurse turned it up really loud so our 12 year old in the waiting room could hear it...my husband went to go get her so she could actually see the heartbeat.

H progressed nicely. My Little H is always in a hurry so she decided to come in January and not be the little Valentine baby her due date indicated. She came three weeks early and spent two of those weeks in the NICU. What a start. I had a c-section (that is a whole other story/blog) and the first thing our little H did when she entered the world was to bite the doctor. We all went back to the recovery room and that is when things started going downhill. H was anemic. They couldn't get a good blood sample. H could not breathe. H had a mass on her liver. It was awful. I was feeding her three nights later and the nurse started giving me discharge instructions. She said "You'll have to watch a CPR video since we had to bag her on Tuesday." WHAT???? No one said anything about her being bagged. Not once, not twice but three times she was bagged. You just got to love the military care system. (another story/blog)


After three weeks, H came home with a heart monitor. We only had false alarms from a wire coming loose now and then. What a fighter, my little H.


H will be 7 next month and if you look at her, you would never know what a rough start she had in life. She is extremely affectionate, highly dramatic, and very protective of her older sister and little brother. And she is healthy, really really healthy. What a blessing.


No comments: