Saturday, December 13, 2008

Back Roads

When I was young, my dad took us to Missouri every Thanksgiving. The one thing I noticed about driving the roads in the country was the "one finger wave." Oncoming drivers would lift their index finger as a greeting to our car and my cousin, Bill, would lift his. It was delightful. Now I live in a suburb in Alabama and behind our housing development is a country road with horses, cattle, cotton fields, a cotton gin, and a little breakfast/lunch restaurant. I use this road all the time to get to the main highway and me with my city ways just drive...oblivious to everything...and I finally noticed after two years of living here...the one finger wave is granted to me each time I drive down this road. I never noticed until a few months ago. I am sure all the farmers are thinking "stuck up City Girl." It was sweet and quaint to realize, I live in the almost country where people still greet strangers.

No comments: