Monday, December 15, 2008

Arranged Marriages

That's my Facebook status. I am trying to arrange a marriage for my oldest daughter. I am offering ten goats to the son of a wonderful couple at Church.

I heard my friend, Elyse, give a devotion at a shower a year and a half ago. I thought whoever marries their son is going to be so blessed to have Tom and Elyse as in-laws. Their view of marriage is so honoring of God and each other and I am sure their sons have picked up on this from their example.

Tom and Elyse understand God's view of leaving your mother and father and becoming one with your spouse, how to treat one another and others with respect and love, and they have a wonderful sense of humor. Their daughters-in-law will have two people they can turn to for wisdom and discernment when the marriage has rough patches. There will be no judgment by either of them...they will gently and lovingly point them in the direction that will honor God.

I pray my children will have such wonderful in-laws. It is so important to feel that you are truly part of the family. This cannot be said for a lot of marriages. Most mates are not seen or treated as part of the family. I hope my children will be blessed by God honoring in-laws, especially my two little ones. I may not be around to see who they marriy and it would be wonderful if their new parents gave them the same amount of love and encouragement as I would. It would be nice to pick their in-laws so you could have the assurance they will be treated with love, honor and respect. It would be nice to know their mate would have a wonderful example of marriage to follow and parents that would lovingly point them in the right direction if they head down the wrong path. Parents who recognize that the two are one in God's eyes and honor the boundaries of that covenant. I think it is possible that the old ways may not be too far off if you could make sure your child will be treated in the way God created marriage. I know most arranged marriages were for political gains or riches but if you could make sure your child was surrounded by loving in-laws, wouldn't it be great?

1 comment:

Dee Dee said...

Beautifully said and full of wisdom. I can only hope and pray I get such a daughter-in-law, and you wouldn't have to give me any goats either (they kind of smell).