Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry and Bright


Ah, Christmas...that wonderful time of year when kids are excited and parents are exhausted. This year's Christmas is different. Life is different. I shouldn't have wrote that...my brain just froze up...so let's just review the past week. We had rain. I almost forgot what rain looked like until this past month. The drought has been so severe that I began to feel like I was back home in the desert again. I enjoyed the rain. I like the creeks that have appeared. I like seeing the kids in rainboots and my son kicking the water so it hits the passing cars. I keep waiting for one of the cars to circle around and kick up water all over him. Fair is fair.

We went to our church party hosted by the nicest couple who will probably never open up their mansion to all these people again. I am sure they are impressed that a hundred people can stand in their rec room without falling down to the basement. I am guessing the builder received a thank you note first thing Monday morning. I am not sure they were too wild about the little person who decided to toss their Christmas cookies in the rec room. Fortunately, the cookies hit the back of a person with a very mellow personality. I am glad it wasn't me or there would have been two people tossing their Christmas cookies in the rec room...I did take over coffee duty because these hundred plus people like their coffee. Unfortunately for them, I don't drink coffee...I have no idea how the stuff tasted that I brewed up...I wonder if the plants in the home were fertilized with a bunch of undrunk coffee. I think these people were so cold they didn't care what it tasted like as long as it was hot. When it was time to go, it took me 20 minutes to find my kids. I would need a bullhorn if I lived in that house. I think Donna is going to get a bullhorn for her birthday.

What else? We went to church...it was the first time I was told to sit during the Alleluia chorus of Handel's Messiah. I am still perplexed over that one...then there was the Christmas Eve service and somehow the first verse of Silent Night disappeared. Now I am really confused and I am blonde...not hard to do.

We went to dinner after the Christmas Eve service and M began talking about the "Gator" and suddenly the sister in charge of buying a "Gator" lets out a gasp...Someone has forgotten her assigned gift. I knew I should have bought the gator online...it even had a leash. Okay...time to do the mom punt. I am going to have to come back and insert a picture of his face when it was time to open the "Gator" box. He wouldn't do it. He was afraid it would bite. I had to open the box. (It didn't seem to bother him that I could get bit..."Go ahead, let Mom do it") I had to let out a couple screams and now the expression is priceless on his face. He slowly walked over to find out what was really in the box. I had to confess...I lied. He asked if it was a trick and I said "Yes." I like the word trick better than lie...

Now it is time to get the kids to sleep so Santa can put the bike and scooter together. I just got them to relax and get that far away look in their eyes when their sister arrived with her computer so they can look and see where Santa was...The only way to get them to relax this time is for me to climb in bed and turn the lights off. I fell asleep. It is a good thing I have elves.

H woke up at 5:30 and tried sneaking downstairs to see what Santa brought...I had to rein her in...she had to wait until almost 7:00 for M to wake up. I like to torture my children.

The kids were thrilled with Santa and proceeded to ride the bike and scooter in the house and bounce from toy to toy. Did I happen to mention Christmas is stressful?

It is now 10 something in the evening and it is time to crawl into bed. I am watching my children sleep and listening to them breathe. So sweet. My children look angelic, their faces are the definition of innocence...Oh, by the way, two and a half hours ago, H climbed up and got some scissors and M gave himself a haircut with those scissors. Perhaps when I wake I will have figured out a way to re-attach his beautiful blonde locks...Most importantly, I hope my energy battery will have fully charged during the night. I have a feeling I am going to need it for tomorrow.

No comments: