Tuesday, February 17, 2009

H and M




I love my children, I really do...but one child, H has a really strong personality and there is this one quality that drives me absolutely nuts...H always (and I mean ALWAYS) will want what someone else is playing with, carrying, reading, looking at, etc. She is really good at getting the desired object away from the other child...she is very persuasive and can convince the other child that she is actually doing them a favor...if that doesn't work, she will offer the other child the opportunity to share, and if all else fails...she'll just take it! This just drives this Momma NUTS!!! (I keep telling myself there is a career path for a person like H...I'm just not sure what it is...her incessant talking sometimes makes me think she will be a politician...I digress)

There is purpose to my sharing this characteristic of my little darlin'...Yesterday, we made a trip to the Zoo. The first animals we stopped to observe were the elephants. They were just coming out to play since it was a chilly day and we were very excited to be their first guests. The first elephant that wandered towards us found a stick to play with...I noticed the second elephant looking at the first elephant with his stick and joked that the elephant's names were H and M because this reminded me of watching my children play....Imagine my amazement when the second elephant sidled up to the first elephant and manipulated the stick away from him. Elephant number one didn't get upset, he just wandered off to find another stick...just like my M. Elephant M (as I am now calling him) found a stick and started playing with it...Elephant H dropped his stick and headed over to M...it wasn't 30 seconds before H had M's stick. I was mesmerized by this point...My children had morph'd into elephants right before my eyes...and so it went...M would find something and H would take it. Fascinating. I wonder what the elephants' mom does when her children display this "slightly" selfish trait...I could use some wisdom right about now.
You will notice in both pictures H is on the left and M on the right...


1 comment:

Zach said...

That is a very good story. :]