Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Words

They're just words....

Words and their effects have really been on my mind lately...from the words of politicians to the sermon from my pastor to the effect they have had on my life. Words are powerful.

"But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment." Matthew 12:36

This verse gives me pause. I have spoken careless words more times than I would like to admit. I am thankful I am forgiven. I would be in a heap of trouble if that were not the case. However, my words may be forgiven but the affect on those spoken to in a careless manner may remain in the recesses of their mind forever. I know words spoken to me when I was a child, a teen, a young adult, still haunt me. It is as if they were spoken five minutes ago and not years or decades ago. 

I teach my children belittling someone is a way to tear someone down in order to build yourself up. This election is driving me crazy. I am not sure if the politicians are actually worse than usual or if I am more sensitive to what is being said. I will be voting today knowing that I have to give an account for my vote to God...just like my words. I will not be voting for the popular candidate but I will be voting for someone I think will use intelligence and wisdom to lead our country. 

Belittling...it seems to be a theme in our culture. It is more prevalent now with Social Media, in my opinion. People no longer care about the affect their words have on others, it is all about them. Pushing people down to build themselves up. It is frightening. We are told sticks and stones may break our bones but words will never us. Nothing could be more untrue. Words will break someone in ways unimaginable. Bones and cuts heal, the affect of words can last a lifetime. 


No comments: