Thursday, May 28, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day Weekend was absolutely gorgeous...perfect temperature...dry...and we were...in a hockey rink. However, since our favorite defenseman was playing, we wouldn't want to be any other place, except Hannah. H chose a trip to the Lake with a friend. Hmmm. Go figure.

Prior to the big weekend, I nagged H about taking sunscreen. I got to watch H ignore me the way I ignored my dad when I was her age and he told me to use sunscreen and wear a wide brimmed hat. (He was going through skin cancer treatment and sunscreen was just emerging...and being ignored while everyone grabbed the coconut scented tanning oil...or baby oil). So...lesson learned, she came home in pain and is peeling...She is off to another Lake with another friend this weekend. We got a rashguard for her to wear...along with sunscreen. And she promises to reapply the sunscreen. A lot.

H going to the Lake this weekend is a good thing because we have...hockey. Yep, travel tryouts are on Saturday. Afterwards, we get to go to Smith Lake for a going away party. Matthew's Coach, Chris Luongo, has been selected to be the USA U18 assistant coach. The former NHL player is moving up...literally and figuratively, he's from up North so the wife is very happy to be near family again.

Roo came up to Nashville for Saturday's games. I had a lovely drive up with her and we were able to stroll the aisles of Whole Foods Market between games and have a treat of fresh gelato...always good to sit outside on a lovely day and people watch.

I got my first scare as a hockey mom on Sunday. M took a purposeful elbow the head which sent him flying through the air, landed face first and feet last on the ice, and he didn't get up. He normally pops right up. He sat out a few line changes before returning. I was so relieved to see him get back out there. (Greg was working the penalty box and was near where it happened, it is possible that he stood on the bench and yelled at the player who elbowed Matthew) However, no penalty was called on the play. Nashville refs are notorious for not calling penalties. I spent the night watching him for concussion. I had a scare when I got up during the night and heard someone rattling the hotel door. I didn't see M in  his bed and I thought he wandered off. (One of the symptoms is sleep disturbance) However, all was well, M had changed beds and a drunk was at the wrong room)

We finished the tournament on Monday...right in time for the rain and humidity that has descended on the South. We came home to a yummy dinner prepared by Roo (our favorite oldest daughter and cat sitter). She made a slaw with arugula and cilantro, pork chops with a peach/jalapeno sauce, potato salad with pancetta, and sweet potato salad with grilled pineapple for dessert. Yum yum! The girl loves my kitchen and I get the best meals from her!

Pictures and video are included for your enjoyment. (And my phone's storage is full so I need to get them off my phone to free up storage...a win/win for everyone!) There is probably a few videos of M's friend Michael (the two M&Ms as I call them). Since this tournament was all about fun, the defense all took turns playing offense. Michael's mom had to leave early for a school meeting so I shot some video of him playing offense. Matthew is very proud that he was the only defenseman to score while playing offense, insert happy face here.








No comments: