Monday, January 26, 2015

Last Trip of the Season

Olive Branch, MS. Such a cool name and a cute little rink to go with it...except the Rink has the name Memphis on it...I was a little disappointed to not actually be in Memphis, TN. I did get some good barbecue though so I can't complain. The boys have been playing against the Pee Wees this Season. Pee Wees are 11 and 12 year old players, the Squirts are 9 and 10 year old players. Our boys were about half the size of the Pee Wee boys. They did really well against the older boys (no one has told our tiny players they're small apparently) and won about half their games and they made the older boys really work hard for their wins. It was a great experience for our boys.  However, older boys don't like losing against younger boys so they were really really rough on our kids. This is hard for me to watch but it didn't bother the boys at all. They pushed back literally and figuratively when needed. It is so funny hearing the obnoxious parents yelling at the Ref for not calling a penalty on our kids when they were just fine with their kids pushing around kids half their size. I love watching Matthew play but I really hate the behavior of some parents. They can be extremely obnoxious and it pains me to watch. We should be setting examples for our kids on sportsman like behavior. It is not happening. Poor sportsmanship seems to be the lesson the kids are getting from the parents. I think I need to start watching with my ear buds in and over in a corner by myself so when the brawling starts, I can just slip out the back. The boys have a few more games in our area and then there will be 3 on 3 play, clinics, and camps...hockey never ends.





No comments: