Saturday, May 12, 2018

I think

I think...our decision has been made for Matthew to stay with Jr Preds. A hard decision was made more difficult when his favorite defense partner was cut from the team.

This week has been an eye opening experience. The two tier 1 teams were busy making offers to kids on the rival teams...and I learned I need to learn the art of the deal. Some kids got free deals, some were promised first and second lines. I am so naive. I thought you were selected for a team, signed a commitment, paid your fee, showed up at practices, worked hard, listened to your coach, and earned your spot and ice time. NOT true. You really need an agent for youth hockey.

My husband and I not being savvy deal makers, especially when you don't know you can deal, have decided to stay with NJP. The first two lines for Thunder have been awarded (keep in mind tryouts are today) and the only positions left are on third line. IT would be much easier on the family to practice in Huntsville but Matthew will develop more as a player staying where he is. He is already on penalty kills and power plays, he wouldn't be on those if we move him.

So next season, we will be a lot more savvy and get ourselves a negotiator....okay, that's probably not allowed but we will ask a whole lot more questions and not worry about being unreasonable...I want a team where Matthew earns his spot and isn't blocked from moving to the front line because other parents negotiated their player a spot. So, NJP, we are here...at least for the next season. I probably need to start looking for tire deals, I'm probably going to need a new set before the end of the year.

No comments: