Saturday, August 24, 2013

Saturday Evening

The competition is over and I am exhausted. I am watching the setting sun leave a rosy sky behind as it drops out of view. G is drilling M on his upcoming spelling words and I have hijacked the computer to try and update my life online. I have this idea that the kids will be able to read this when they are older and my online blog will make up for my lack of journaling. My favorite things are pieces of paper that have my dad's writing or Grandma's writing. Their wicked humor shows up in the bits and pieces of scattered sentences from the backs of photos to odd bits of paper.

Back to the weekend competition, I did my bit by volunteering, I went dressed to sit at the Awards table which is upstairs in a place notorious for being blazing hot. I was switched to ice monitor and spent 3 hours next to the ice with my teeth chattering, nose running, and fingers wanting mittens in a very bad way. I have never had any contact with Coaches and skaters and boy, was this a huge eye opener. You would think this was the Olympics. I was asked to make sure a skater was first on the ice during warm up, chastised for going to the lobby to find a missing skater...I am not to leave my post (boy, tell me this and suddenly I need to go to the bathroom, which added to my previous mentioned physical ailments) and I found out the hard way that all the instructions I was given at the beginning by someone we shall not name were...wrong. Now, I am more than willing to learn from my mistakes and I have a few suggestions for the next ice monitor, make sure you have a headset, note pad and a family relative who is willing to run all over the rink, smile at the Coaches and treat them like "Yes, their skater is the next Olympic gold medalist and above all, have a fur coat, fingerless gloves, and a blanket. Never mind that is 100 degrees outside, check your pride at the door, because if the crazy outfit in warm weather doesn't make you look like you're off your meds, you will need meds by the time the coaches are done with you.

No comments: