Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day Weekend

School is out! We are enjoying a quiet weekend at home before all the craziness of driving to Nashville for Matthew's hockey begins.

The men installed Hannah's birdhouse. She is thrilled. It is for Eastern Bluebirds. Hannah taught me the house has to be installed facing east...and here I thought they got their name because the bluebirds live in the Eastern United States...learn something new every single day. (Her outdoor classroom had a gentleman come and teach them about Eastern Bluebirds. He also builds them so we bought one...he was late delivering so he gave us two...They will both be on the same pole and the west facing birdhouse will attract some swallow...I'll have to ask Hannah...I've already forgotten which one...He also taught them Eastern Bluebirds nest about 100 yards apart so I am hoping we don't have a neighbor that already has a bluebird house because I am really looking forward to having bluebirds.)
I think we have missed the window of opportunity for baby birds this Spring since it is now almost Summer. I'll be praying for little bluebirds next Summer. I will see if Hannah will share pictures of her bluebird babies from her outdoor classroom.

I let Hannah have the butterfly bush for her school's outdoor garden. She was thrilled. Unfortunately, her teacher is under the impression a twice a week watering is sufficient for a transplant...I am trying to save the bush now with some magical transplant liquid, some mulch, and some wonderful rain from our Creator. It will be a miracle...most of it had died before I saw its sad state. I pray it will come back because it will be beautiful. I suppose if it completely dies, I can go buy a new one and Hannah will need to go to the school every day to water it...or...we can wait until Fall since the next two weeks are going to be really busy. It will be fabulous if the current bush has a supernatural resurrection.

Hannah's Wildlife Group has put her in charge of the garden and she has done a great job. My girl loves her birds.  I think a bird feeder and birdbath is next up for our backyard. I mentioned it at dinner last night and her face lit up.

Hockey lights up Matthew's face. Greg said his mom asked last night if all the hockey Matthew he is doing was a parent desire rather than his. That question broke my heart...she has no understanding of her grandson (and truth be told...me...I prefer being home to being at the Rink....I love my son and that is the ONLY reason we spend so much money and time on hockey). I tease Matthew he is part penguin...he only wants to be on the ice. He has no desire to do any other sport. At ALL. On that note, God has blessed him with so much talent to play hockey, it is mind boggling. My heart's desire is he will use this talent as an adult to mentor young kids and build their character. He wants to go to the NHL and be an engineer. I will be happy if he is an engineer and coaches kids. I have no aspirations to be the mother of the next Sydney Crosby...of course, Matthew would cringe if he read that because 1) he is a defenseman and not a forward and 1) he hates Sydney Crosby.

Our upcoming week will put many miles on our car...Matthew has Jr Preds Tryouts for the next 3 days, a TPH Prospects Tournament (in Nashville) over the weekend, and Korn Camp (in Nashville). Pray God sustains me as I drive the 122 miles from my garage to the Ford Center and the 122 miles from the Ford Center to my garage. It will be fun, I love the time in the car with my kids...it will be challenging with all the 18 wheelers and crazy drivers...but...thankfully, it is beautiful country...the layers of rocks, trees, and mountains are breathtaking.

Now if I can just figure out what to wear for the wintry rink and the sultry Summer weather when I exit the Rink...life would be perfect.

Some videos from this past week's lesson with Coach Martin (or as Matthew affectionately calls him "The Angry Slovakian") and a video trying to entice a retired youth hockey to come back to hockey.








Matthew's new stick


 Hannah checking on her birds 


Hannah demanded a pirate cake pop from Starbucks


Hannah celebrating first day of Summer...at 7:00 a.m.


Eastern Bluebird birdhouse installation



Videos from my phone...no idea what is on here

No comments: