Thursday, January 14, 2016

Social Media Growing Pains

I am trying to reconcile my relationship with Facebook. I hate it, I use it, I take a break,

I decide to go old school. That didn't work so well, I rarely have time to sit down and write a letter. And, my handwriting these days I am told is fairly hard to decipher.

I realize I am missing out on my major events in my friends' lives...I re-activiate my account...

I log in and see all the "shared" links, the memes, the political nonsense. I realize why I deactivated my main Facebook in the first place.

I try to streamline and close two accounts that aren't being used (Kids mostly used it for Farm Town and Sorority Life, the kids have moved on to bigger and better games). I log in to deactivate an account and find a message from last October. I wonder how rude the person thinks I am for not answering in a timely manner. (I did answer the message before deactivating the account. Will the message from a deactivated account be sent, I have no idea. I am technologically challenged.)

My newest attempt is streamlining my friends...whenever Facebook reminds me of a birthday, okay, this is going to sound really mean...if I don't like them enough or know them enough to actually send a birthday card in real life...they get "unfriended." Yep, that's my birthday present to them...one less friend with annoying shares, memes, political opinions. Yay!

In the meantime, I find Instagram nice. I have ignored most "follower" requests...stuck to those I would actually send a birthday or Christmas card to....and it is restful. Small. Quiet. Intimate.

Perfect.




No comments: