Friday, January 1, 2016

No Allegiance

Clap Clap Clap, We will, We will rock you...The Queen Anthem We are the Champions being played out by the AVHS football team sitting in the Quad, forming a circle of high school studs, during my freshman year of high school was my introduction to football mania. The School's football team was the State Champion and earned the right to celebrate with Queen's song.  (To be honest, I wasn't really into Queen, the only reason I was aware of its existence was because my older brother listened to KLOS and KMET, the "cool" stations of Los Angeles. I missed the Queen/Led Zepplin mania also. I did have an ex-boyfriend who was passionate about them, does that count?)

I live in the SEC part of the world...one would think that I would have a passion for one of the SEC football teams...nope, I cheer for my friends' teams...I cheer for the under-dog, I cheer for whichever AL team is playing. I want to have that passion that has me ornamenting my car, wearing sweatshirts with my team's logo, a great big obnoxious flag in the front yard but I just can't muster up the allegiance to end all allegiances. I have lots of Bama fan friends and lots of Auburn fan friends. I wanted to have their passion for a school they never attended. (I think that is my problem, my brain can't quite wrap around having a passion strong enough to go all out for a school I never attended. I have in my brain that you have to actually attend the school to be so zealous.)

I am passionate about how much I love Fridays and Saturdays in the SEC region of the Country. I love the cars flying flags for their team, I love how almost everyone (except me) wears their team's paraphernalia. I love how "Roll Tide" and "War Eagle" are actual greetings to people...Football is ingrained in their DNA down here. It leaves me feeling like I am missing something.

I once tried "selling" my allegiance on Facebook to anyone with a good offer. The best offer made to me was a box of Lipton tea bags to be a Bama fan. Not good enough...especially since I do have an allegiance to Mighty Leaf Breakfast and Mighty Leaf Jasmine tea. I should be a die hard Bama fan since my best friend actually graduated from the University of Alabama and had a dog, a password, and a daughter who attended Bama...but I'm not quite ready to name a pet "Bama" or to fly the Bama flag in my yard or on my car. After my failure to get a good deal for my faithful allegiance to one school. I went the politically correct route and decided to go all in for Harvard. No one could take offense at a Harvard Fan living in the SEC, right? First, I had to make sure Harvard actually still played football. They do...and they're called the Crimson. Too funny. I named our Rav4, John Harvard, I bought a Harvard sweatshirt online...and when I wear it, people think I'm a Bama fan. Epic fail. I did cheer for Bama last night, I'm quite happy they made the Playoffs, however, I went to bed in the 3rd Quarter so my Manic Fan card did not get punched.


No comments: