Friday, April 25, 2014

House Update

Things are moving a little slow on the house purchase...we haven't heard from our Realtor much this week (Missed texts, emails and all that) so Greg sent an SOS ASAP email yesterday and she will be over tonight at 5 (God willing). This house is sold but things are moving slow on the purchasing of the new house. The current owners were out of town and they have countered, etc. Now, to be fair, they weren't planning on selling until next Spring when he officially retired so they aren't very motivated to Greg's adherence to what homes in that neighborhood (yes, he averaged the cost per sq ft and offered them that price and they want $3 more per sq ft) etc.

Our house closes on June 19 so that adds a little challenge to moving since we need the money from selling our house to purchase the house so where do live and store stuff in that little window. We need to book movers in a very busy moving period...so that needs to be addressed. This was the purpose of my text to our Realtor. We need some ideas because I am sure she encounters this challenge often given her line of work.

The other problem...when I looked at the house I smelled a musky/mold smell...(I have a phenomenal sense of smell, I could be a drug dog if I believed in reincarnation) and sure enough Greg said our Realtor said the house was damp under the house and the owner was replacing the shower pan and glass doors but was going to increase his asking price to cover the cost. His timing in telling me this not great. Roo and I had spent the day cleaning and sorting the garage. Greg didn't seem to appreciate all of our hard work so I was a bit snippy when he passed this information on to me. I told him we would have to discuss the counter/counter later. So here I am, homeless in 6 1/2 weeks. No real plan...just purging.

A few of the things I gave away had to make me smile and tear up...the little red Radio Flyer tricycle that Matthew would fly around the the curving sidewalk in front of our house...he went soooo fast on that thing. He didn't put it up one day and I didn't see the wheel sticking out just a bit and ran over the back right tire. It bent. He moved up to a bicycle and the tricycle was put up and away in the loft Greg built. I thought about keeping it but I figured some other little boy could put a smile on his mother's face or fear if he rides as fast as Matthew. I also gave away his little John Deere wheelbarrow. He loved that thing and when the guys came to deliver mulch, he would grab his wheelbarrow and help them unload it off the truck. He also used it to help spread the mulch or work in the garden. That kid cracks me up.

It is amazing how much junk you can collect in eight years. I can't imagine how much stuff I would have if I stayed in one place these last 26 years of marriage. Military life is good for constant purging and cleaning under refrigerators, washers, and dryers. Now if I just knew for sure if I had a place to put the stuff I am keeping. I need to pray about the counter to the counter...cuz we need a plan. Fast.

Here are some pictures of the house we are putting an offer on.







By the way, I hate cypresses...any evergreen with needles...this backyard has way too many of those icky evergreens.

No comments: