Sunday, March 9, 2014

From August 2008

Mr. M

The Merry Mirth of Matthew

 

Today, I laughed.  My children make me laugh.  The full belly split in your side laugh.  Matthew wanted to get the milk and he announced “I’m strong, I have big muscles.”  He is struggling with the gallon of milk while I am terrified it is about to drop all over the floor when he announces “I can almost lift it!”  Terror consumes my heart while I bite my lip to keep from laughing at the pride in his voice regarding his “big muscles.”

Matthew keeps me laughing.  I have never met a male who talks as much as he does.  He will talk the entire time we are running errands.  He tends to make up stories using the names of Hannah’s friends and the neighbor children.  He makes all sorts of stories up about Jackson Quarles and Ryan Brashear.  He talks about tools, tractors, tornadoes, you name it.  His mind never stops.  When we stopped in Birmingham for dinner, he suddenly announced “BURNingham, it’s on FIRE!!!”  Later, he began talking about MISTERssippi and TenneSEAT.  Geography suddenly becomes hysterically funny.

Matthew’s finest moment occurred when he went potty by the side of field in KS.  He was so proud of his accomplishment. And to think Greg was worried he wouldn’t be able to go on the side of a road.  After that, he felt that all grass should be “watered” by his personhood, including his grandmother’s front yard, our pastor’s front yard, and of course, my front yard.

Who knew at 46 that life would just begin…lots of laughter, lots of hugs, lots of sweet kisses and best of all, little bouquets filled with weeds, picked by my son just for me.  Who needs roses?


No comments: