Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tryouts!

So...I forgot the camera...had my phone, forgot to take pictures...my brain cells seem to exiting at an accelerated pace these days. But! I do have the presence of mind to announce that yes, indeed, our little guy made the "04 Squirt Travel Team. I honestly thought that all who tried out made the team but after seeing the Roster, I saw three team members from last year didn't make it so I am sad for them and really proud of M. It really WAS a serious tryout and not the formality I thought it was.

I guess his skating lessons are paying off. I can't remember if I mentioned that after The Nutcracker had its last show, M skated with H and the rest of the cast at the Cast Party. M was just as fast but couldn't do the spins and jumps so he asked for figure skating lessons. Bless his heart, his innocence kept him from knowing how badly he would be teased by his fellow hockey players. A really great skating coach moved her in March and Matthew has been taking lessons from him. (The husband was okay with this after talking to one of the hockey dads who used to play NHL for the Blackhawks, Dallas Stars and Toronto. He told us figure skaters make better hockey players...so M started lessons, LOVES Coach Glenn, and is getting teased)
Thankfully, Coach Glenn told him this was going to happen.

On a side note, because y'all know I digress. I had no idea the Skating School was run by the '83 or '84 Female World Champion. She met her husband, another champion while touring with Katarina Witt and Brian Boitano, Coach Glenn is a Pairs National Champion. So...H and M are in very good hands. Oh, and we will not be shooting for any national titles, this skating stuff is WAY too expensive. Not only are the skates EXPENSIVE, you pay for the lesson, the ice time, entry fees and if you travel? Coaches trip as well as yours. Competitions will stay here in the area  for us, but I am sure I will tell you about one of the other skaters being a champion soon. One of the kids is ranked 12th in the Nation for his age. Go Luke!!!

No comments: