Friday, April 20, 2012

How Did I Not Know This?

I loved English in school (unfortunately, I was born with a Liberal Arts brain and not a Scientific brain) and I LOVED Advanced Placement English...I even passed the AP exam giving me the right to skip College Freshman English...so how did I not know when a character goes on a journey it usually means something else is happening in a character's life??? I picked up a book at Barnes & Noble the other day on reading literature like a college professor...I stumbled upon it and it seemed fortuitous since I missed part of the PBS series "Great Expectations." Our TV was going out so it was really dark, (as if it weren't dark already) I missed the first half of the series so I cheated and looked for a "Cliff Note" summary on Google. It discussed how every time our protagonist went into the misty fields something bad was about to happen. My brain went "Huh."

I mean I get the big stuff...like East of Eden that one is easy...Cain and Abel, the fallen world after man's banishment from the perfect garden...Bridget Jones' Diary, well, you would have to be just plain stupid to not get that one. But the journey? How did I not know that?

I guess I can no longer claim to be an exemplary student of literature...On the other hand, it's always good to know one is never done learning...which brings me to my next claim...I would be very satisfied going to school every day of my life. Professional Student is what I was meant to be...I guess walking into Barnes & Noble is a symbol of my journey into a better understanding of literature...OH! It also has provided a whole new reading list from the books mentioned in the book I bought...I am really glad there are libraries...because this journey like buying college books could get rather pricey.

No comments: