Sunday, July 10, 2011

Greetings from Cape Canaveral...well, Melbourne.

Sunday Morning...L + 3 The launch was an awesome success and went off to everyone's disbelief and hope. We boarded the bus and our docent told us there was a 10% chance of launch due to weather and we would probably turn around and try again on Saturday since Saturday seemed to have the best weather for the next few days. The clouds were a mixed blessing, a cloud hung over the launch literally and figuratively. It also kept us cool for the most part. FL weather waited until about 10 to hit the dripping mark.

Let me back this story up, many years ago while Edwards AFB my husband worked with Rex Walheim. He was a bachelor and I fed him cookies and dinner. He got married, applied to NASA's astronaut program, Greg was one of the people interviewed for Rex' security clearance and voila' he was accepted. So, by being blessed with Rex' friendship, we have been blessed with invites to Shuttle launches. (We were also blessed with Mike Bloomfield's friendship and launch invites.)

This time we got to hang out with the extended family VIP treatment. It's the only way to go. We had tickets for free admission to KSC, a brief on the mission, bus tour of KSC and we got to visit with the astronauts (they were on the other side of a rope so we wouldn't infect them with our nasty germs, a good thing given the number of kids, mine included). On launch day, we had a bus to take us to a special viewing at the Saturn V building. The other VIPs (200 astronauts and celebrities) were on another side of the Saturn building with all of us mixing together in the very crowded Saturn building) I was oblivious since I wouldn't recognize the astronauts...or Stephen Spielberg for that matter. I sat outside on the bleacher watching the video feed and holding our seats on the bleachers. I went inside once and there was a tall man in a cowboy hat posing with people and signing autographs. I asked who he was, I was told his name and didn't register...and I have forgotten it. I guess at this age, I am just happy I can remember my name since I usually call my kids by the wrong name.

The actual launch covered me in glory bumps (goose bumps to everyone else). There was a small hold on the countdown but it went off to everyone's delight and many people around me cried knowing that is the last shuttle into space. I didn't realize the shuttles have only used 25% of their life span. Lots of other voyages into space are built into those magnificent flying machines. Lots of scientific knowledge to be discovered. What a shame a cut to save money will cause so many to be unemployed and medical discoveries not made or at least delayed for much later in the future.

Oh, and the kids saw 8-9 alligators in one little swampy area. Our docent said that was unusual, usually only 1 or 2 is spotted in that location showing that even the gators knew something special was happening and didn't want to miss it.

(Lots of pictures to come when I get home...in the meantime, I'll try to grab some off of my FB page)

No comments: