Sunday, June 14, 2009

My Summer Stay-cation





Summer afternoon - Summer afternoon... the two most beautiful words in the English language. Henry James

That may have been true for Henry James but for me, the summer afternoon means time at the pool. Last summer, it was a nice relaxing event but this year I am living out Mark Twain's quotes like "Familiarity breeds contempt" and "Fences make good neighbors." There have been a few events at the pool that have shown me what a self-centered society we've become...Profanity in front of children, temper tantrums from adults, children being left to fend for themselves while the parents socialize, I am not enjoying the pool this year like I did last year.

On the bright side, I am blessed with a neighborhood pool to share with friends (wenches) from Church and their children...so while I am not having the time of my life, my children are...and I guess that is really all that matters.

By the way, after spending years and years taking my oldest child to the pool each summer , I would never have believed I would be repeating my summers at the pool all over again at age 47. This only goes to show, that there is a God and He has a sense of humor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a young and beautiful Yogi! I hope we can make your afternoon's by the pool a little better...there will always be tea! Even when our church doesn't have hot water....