Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Acts of Love

In my oh so exciting love life, I have had exactly one song dedicated to me...decades ago. I look at the lyrics and it is bittersweet. The words do not describe the relationship I had with this person at all, I look at the words and wonder why did he pick this song?

Once in my twenties, I got a cassette filled with love songs. I thought this was the sweetest gift ever. I still have the cassette, I don't know why, I don't have a cassette player and if I popped it in a cassette player it would probably turn to dust.

My other great gift was from the same guy that gave me the cassette, it was a photo album of pictures he had taken of a day we spent together. (I accidentally left that in a cab...I was fearing for my life but that is a whole different story.)

These random thoughts come as I watch today's young people falling in and out of love. Do they still dedicate songs to each other or just get a tattoo?

Yet, feeling compassion for the strength of their love and also wondering if they will be with this person in 25 years, perhaps it will be a nice little memory that sits in a drawer and causes a little smile when stumbled on, or will the relationship just be a memory that leaves them confused and bewildered...

I leave you with the words from my only dedicated love song...Just remember, the choice of this song still leaves me confused and bewildered...more than thirty years later. If there is one thing I do know, I was not his best friend and I did not make him happy. Sunshine? I don't think so, I think he would describe me more as a thundercloud if you asked him about it today.


Words and music by JOHN DEACON.

Ooh you make me live
Whatever this world can give to me
It's you you're all I see
Ooo you make me live now honey
Ooo you make me live

Ooh you're the best friend that I ever had
I've been with you such a long time
You're my sunshine and I want you to know
That my feelings are true
I really love you
Oh you're my best friend

Ooo you make me live

Ooh I've been wandering round
But I still come back to you
In rain or shine
You've stood by me, girl
I'm happy, happy at home
You're my best friend

Ooo you make me live
Whenever this world is cruel to me
I got you to help me forgive
Ooo you make me live now honey
Ooo you make me live

You're the first one
When things turn out bad
You know I'll never be lonely
You're my only one
And I love the things
I really love the things that you do
You're my best friend

Ooo you make me live

I'm happy at home
You're my best friend
Oh ya
Oh you're my best friend
Ooo you make me live
You you're my best friend.

No comments: