Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Facebook (for Old People)


Ah, Facebook has caught up to the old people...no longer is it a tool to keep an eye on your children but a free way to find old friends from high school...

There is one small problem with this great tool...what if you don't remember who the heck that person is making the friend request???

This has happened several times with me...girls who don't include their maiden name...I have to send out discreet messages to "mutual friends." Who is *** *****? It is nice that you can just delay confirming or ignoring the friend request until you get a response.

Yesterday, I was shopping at the Commissary when I received an S.O.S from my BFF from high school. Who is ***** *****? (Facebook is so accomodating, I want to thank them that my inbox messages can be sent as texts to my mobile phone so I can calm my BFF down...she is in a panic with "failing memory" or as she says "she is losing her marbles") I was able to respond and let her know, Name? Familiar...but that is it. I have a vision of a short squarish blonde in my head but absolutely nothing else. I let my BFF know that I will look him up in the yearbook as soon as I get home.

I fulfill my promise to look him up...yep, short, squarish blonde, still nothing else comes to me. I scan his picture in the yearbook and email it to her. I guess she found her marbles because they are now friends on Facebook.

This all leads me to be thankful for my discreet friends who have not said to my Facebook friends..."I see you and Susan are now friends on Facebook. I am so glad I could refresh her memory with who you are...She emailed me and asked 'Who the heck is *** ****?'"

Keeping in Touch has become so fun and yet, so complex...

2 comments:

Chris S said...

So, is that picture with all the guys drooling really your daughter?
It's not big enough to tell.

Permberly said...

It's my daughter uploaded into a picture...my friend was playing with the website...she is trying to figure out how to make it bigger...it is something like photo funfania...You can do some really incredible things.