Friday, March 20, 2009

Like Father Like Daughter


Spring Break, yay! People are scattering to places like Charleston, Disney World,camping, rafting..My ideal vacation is laying on a lounge chair on a 75 degree day reading a book with a tall glass of iced tea...After that would be exploring art and history museums and historical American Battlefields and other historical sites...a trip to Europe would be nice...I loved the Tower of London, Windsor Castle, Blenheim Palace, a trip to Italy would be nice and so it goes...I listen to my friends get excited about camping, not me. My idea of camping is staying at the Hampton Inn...I have to wash my hair everyday or I cannot function...hot shower, outlets for blow drying, a mirror, a toilet that flushes (I don't do portable potties, they're gross and they smell) and a nice cozy bed with no vermin or wild animals...I am just not adventurous.

I looked at my bookcase today (purchased for the sole purpose of holding the books my dad left to me) and thought about how my reading habits have changed. I used to put my nose in the classics and bestsellers...now I just read history. I realized this is genetic...I can't help it, this offbeat taste for a girly girl comes from my father. He enjoyed reading many things, mostly history...

I was very jealous when my dad left all of his Civil War and WWII books to my brother and left me the art books because girls don't like history...Au contraire...Obviously, my dad was not paying attention to the fact I had a history minor...Like art, love history...

I inherited my dad's love for growing flowers. He helped me plant my first garden when I was 22. I had fallen skiing, hurt my knee and had to hobble on crutches. He took me to a nursery and bought me petunias, his favorite flower. He stood over me while I planted them and gave me directions, clean the dirt off the leaves, push down the soil and get the air bubbles out, now give it a good watering etc. etc. Every year, I have to plant some petunias, just to remind me of my dad.

I never really gave it a lot of thought until today. My dad didn't raise me, he got weekends, part of the holidays, and dragged me to a lot of baseball games...but I enjoy many of the same things so that leads me to the conclusion it has to be genetic...like father,like daughter.

No comments: