Friday, September 12, 2008

Almost Country

Leaving my subdivision is such a treat. I approach Burgreen and suddenly I am in the country. there is a cotton gin, a restaurant with a parking lot filled with farmer's trucks (the farmer's are catching up on the latest gossip) and there is a ranch house with horses grazing in the field next to it.

When I drive south, I pass cotton fields, corn fields, and trees filled with wisteria in spring.

I am always filled with awe for the farmers driving the tractors feeding the nation. Early in the morning, late in the evening, they're working, the smell of freshly cut hay lingering in the air. It is such a peaceful feeling driving through this part of the world.

My only complaint is the cows are gone. There used to be cattle right across the subdivision, during the early evening, I could sit outside and listen to their moos for dinner. I keep hoping they'll return but survey sticks have gone up and I fear the worst...more of us suburbanites taking over the quiet country.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I understand your musings, Susan. When I was a kid, I couldn't wait to get out of the country. Now, I am so glad to be back! I just told Richard tonight that I thought we needed to get some chickens and milking cows. Of course, I got the you're-losing-it-again look. Oh well.
This time of year is especially nice when the temperature drops a little.